Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Saving Unworthy Bacon

01.13.16

Genesis 32.7-8 7 Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed. He divided the people who were with him, and the flocks and herds and camels, into two camps, 8 thinking, “If Esau comes to the one camp and attacks it, then the camp that is left will escape.” – St. Moses

If there is one thing on earth that is common to man; it’s fear. Even the fearless fear being fearless; we can’t escape it. Fear is what drove Jacob, the deceiver – he was always afraid of his last escapade and the thought of meeting his older brother Esau, whom he last remembered as breathing murderous threats against the whole birthright thing and stealing his father’s blessing, made Jacob a bit weak in the knees.

What is the cure for human fear? What can we do when the waves of fear and anxiety roll over the top of us? Some certainly look for company because misery does love having someone else to commiserate with. Others tuck their head and run – like Jacob; and some simply stare it down and whoever blinks first, wins.

But there is another way to face fear – it’s Jacob’s prayer:

“O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O Lord who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good,’ I am not worthy of the least of all the deeds of steadfast love and all the faithfulness that you have shown to your servant, for with only my staff I crossed this Jordan, and now I have become two camps. Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau, for I fear him, that he may come and attack me, the mothers with the children. But you said, ‘I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’” Genesis 32.9-12

In other words: God You are my God and unless You save my unworthy bacon, I’m toast. I deserve nothing, but I’m asking You for everything. And all this because You said… So, there is something to be said for what God said, and there is something to hear: what God says.

So much of our Christian life amounts to a guessing game, and yet, there is no need for that if we train ourselves to listen to what God’s already said – there is no substitute for Bible reading and study – and train ourselves to listen to what He says – it ain’t rocket science; all we need do is listen. If we commit ourselves to seriously and eagerly talk with God (pray) we’ll be amazed with what we’ll hear.

What is our God-given, God-called mission and purpose? If we’ll give Him half a chance God will tell us and show us the whole ball game, and just what part we play…

Heavenly Father, give us eyes to see, and ears to hear, and a heart to follow. Our lives are not so much different than Jacob’s, and we need to know what it is You say amidst all the clamor and clatter of our lives. Help us O God. Amen

No comments: