Thursday, January 7, 2016

Another Walk Around the Block


01.07.16

Luke 7.47-48 47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” 48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” – Jesus

Sometimes, it just takes another walk around the block to get it; get it? Maybe it’s a case of forest and trees. I have walked around this verse for years trying to figure out what it really means to me. So, today I just did some simple math. The worse one is the greater his appreciation for forgiveness.

The woman knew who she was and desperately wanted to be freed from who she was (sometimes we want the same). And so, she came to Jesus with what she thought might be her solution: utter and courageous humility, and gifts that cost her something: the ointment (perfume) and her humiliation. She admitted publically that she was depraved and in need of Someone to free her from it; she needed Jesus.

She really put herself over the line by even crashing the party in the first place; I’m sure the Pharisees almost shrieked. What woman in her right mind would do such a thing in ancient middle-eastern society? She did. But she was desperate, and she knew that Jesus dealt with the desperate and did miraculous things in their lives. I don’t think she necessarily wanted a miracle; I just think she wanted to be free. “And Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”” She got what she wanted from the Only One who could give it – Jesus.

I don’t think I’ve ever been brave enough to do what she did. Of course I don’t live in ancient middle- eastern culture, but I do live in the church age where we’re accepted if, on Sundays, we behave in order to belong: son, whatever you do, don’t bring aspersions on us because of your behavior – we only deal with super-men.

I don’t believe in super-men; I believe in Jesus who meets me just where I am and incessantly reminds me of just how much He loves me and just how proud He is of me regardless of the sanitized expectations of super-men. Jesus said to me regularly: “Your sins are forgiven.”

It’s not that I go out of my way to sin; it’s that I sometimes cannot help myself. And I need somewhere to go when I do where I can pour out my humiliation and express my need to Him who reminds me of how much I need Him. He’s not looking for behavior modification; He’s looking for relationships, devotion, and filling my being with Himself that I think more about Him than sin. He changes me.

I do feel some sense of loving much because I think I have been forgiven much – but sometimes I have to take another walk around the block to get it or to be reminded that in Him, my slated has been cleansed by precious blood.



Lord, if You can do it for her, You can do it for me – Thank You!

No comments: