Monday, April 20, 2015

A Very Presence



04.20.15

Psalm 46.2 2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea… - the Sons of Korah

The above is part of a larger passage of Scripture in Psalm 46. The whole passage says:
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

The reminder is God is truly present and He is our refuge and strength; and He is a very (true) presence in trouble. And so, no matter that the earth, which we take so for granted, gives way; and the mountains which we perceive as mighty and immovable, slip into the sea (what a force that would take); though the sea’s waters roar and foam and cause fear, though the mountains, now weakened, shake in terror at its swelling. Hmm… That’s some event! God is still our refuge and strength.

What is fear? Fear is giving into the known or the unknown. Meet a bear on the trail and there may be some fear. Not knowing what the bear may do will cause some fear. Though the earth give way and fall into the sea and the sea crashes and writhes – God is still God; truly our help in time of trouble. Why then should I fear? What then do I fear?

I fear a lot of things. I fear debt. I fear sickness. I fear old age. I fear war. I fear poverty. I fear letting my family down over the choices I’ve made (and still, from time to time, make). I fear failure. I fear embarrassment and humiliation. I fear lack of creativity. I fear because I have no control over these things. But God is my Presence and strength – a place to be safe – in trouble. Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble – but take heart, I have overcome the world.” (John 16.33 paraphrase)

I think those Korah boys were onto something. If you take even a scant glance at the history of Israel, you don’t have to look very hard to see they were (for the most part) always up to their eyeballs in some kind of trouble. Their problem: they were always afraid of something. You look around today and you don’t have to look very hard to see that most of the folks you meet are fearful about something. Money. Relationships. Health. Debt. Poverty. Failure. It’s all trouble.

The Korah boys sang: Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea… Big trouble (or small) needs the presence – the true presence of God. (We’re not gonna take! No! We ain’t gonna take it! We’re not gonna take it anymore!!!) Sounds like a familiar tune. Maybe Twisted Sister. I’m gonna stick with the sons of Korah. My problems need God…

Father, how I needed to hear those words today. How I need Your help today. And how I need Your very presence today. And tomorrow and all the days after that. Build my faith. Give me courage. Help me God. Though the mountains slide into the sea I will not fear for You are my true Help in times of trouble and whatever else comes along. Thank You!

No comments: