Saturday, February 28, 2015

What I Have and Have Not

2-28-15

Psalm 118.18 The Lord has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death. (ESV)

Currently I am reading a 365 Day devotional. It is one of the best devotionals I have ever encountered. I think it is fitting for the days of my present journey.

Life presses in upon us and many of us fear it is the displeasure of the Lord with us that causes our days to be pressed and hard-pressed. We hear the word discipline and immediately we equate it with pain… or worse, punishment. I think hearing the word discipline raises our defenses as well: Why am I going through this – what’d I do!? I’m learning these days that there is a plan and a purpose for discipline; discipline is outcome-based.

And so today I read: The Lord has disciplined me severely, but He has not given me over to death. What a relief! I thought He was mad at me or something. No, He’s not mad; He’s simply, lovingly, thoroughly, and carefully making me into the person He’s created me to be. What’s so bad about that?

I like to think I have it altogether. I like to think I’m making such marvelous progress in my spiritual journey. I am; it’s just not the way I want it to be – there’s pain involved. Oh, and difficulty as well. Difficulty is just another form of pain; but discomfort causes me to think differently and look for answers – not to relieve the pain, but more, to find out why.

But this I know: even though the Lord disciplines me severely, He hasn’t given me over to death. Death would be His leaving me alone. I might think He’s left me alone, but the presence of the pain, discomfort, inconvenience, frustration, sorrow, and whatever else: shows me He is working in me to work out of me my dependence upon myself; and working into me a humility I never knew existed in depending wholly and solely upon Him.

My devotion today told me: He’s preparing me for my (Face-to-face) eternity with Him. He’s preparing me for the earthly battles yet to come. My scant days on earth are nothing compared to eternity with Him. And He’s preparing me for a new mindset and worldview where He is truly my King, not some fleeting theory I hold in my mind. (Somebody was thinking when this devotional was written.)


Lord Jesus – Creator God, I hold You responsible for disciplining me severely. I know it is done in love and it is done with an eternal purpose in mind. It isn’t fun. It isn’t pleasant. But it will produce a yield in me that I couldn’t conceive of otherwise: a harvest of righteousness. And I thank You that my discipline – as painful as it is – is for my life and for my future in the eternity that patiently awaits my arrival. Do not stay Your hand. Thank You. Amen.

No comments: