Sunday, February 8, 2015

Walking on Waves in the Wind

02.08.15

Matthew 14.30-31 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” – St. Matthew (ESV)

I’ll call her Sherrie. She and her husband left the town where we lived in search of a better future in another part of the country where, they’d been told, wages were higher, taxes were lower, and housing was unbelievably affordable. She was full of excitement and assured me it was of the Lord.

Two months later she (and he) returned because, the devil had fought them at every turn and the housing wasn’t so hot, the wages weren’t so great, and the taxes were about the same as everywhere else: too stinkin’ high! She was back because perhaps, God misinformed them.

In Matthew 14, Peter and his companions are in a boat on Lake Galilee beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them and here comes Jesus walking toward them on the water. (Okay, how is He doing that!?) The disciples (Peter included) are terrified. Had I been in that boat I would’ve been looking for the t.p.

Now, in their fear the disciples cried out, “It’s a ghost!” Grown men afraid of ghosts. And Jesus says, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” Lord, I have just soiled myself and You’re telling me not to be afraid!!?? And Peter – God love Peter – says, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” The challenge: Lord, if it is You… Jesus, unwavering, said, “Come!”

What do you perceive God to be asking you to do? Is it better wages? Lower taxes? More affordable housing? Sherrie sure thought so. But I think what Sherrie missed was the wind and the waves beating against her. God sometimes asks us to do some interesting things. And when we take Him at His word, life seems to go to crap. And we doubt. And we cry out. And we think we see ghosts. Because when God asks us to do whatever, we think we’re to do it alone.

Peter got out of the boat in that wind and among those waves and began to walk on water. Wow! But then he took his eyes off Jesus and began to sink in the waves that were beaten by the wind. The best thing Peter ever did was yell: “Lord, save me.” And Jesus stretched out His hand and caught Peter and they walked back to the boat together and got in, and finished the journey to the other shore. And Jesus asked Peter, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Why do we doubt – because it’s too hard? Because it’s too scary? Because we can’t control it? I’d probably say, “A, B, and C!” Life is hard. Life is scary. You and I cannot control life. But the Maker of Heaven and Earth can control it. And He is asking you and me to trust Him and not doubt that He walks upon the waves in the wind.


Jesus, save me! Help me to trust You no matter the appearance of the circumstances. And help me to believe that despite all my scheming and dreaming, You are in control of it all, and I will never fall out of Your hand. Thank You Jesus! Amen.

No comments: