Saturday, September 20, 2014

Rebuke and Reminder
09.20.14

Luke 3.14 14 Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?” He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.” – St. John, the Baptist (ESV)

The other day a friend said this: “I see the biggest problems with many couples is this: money, sex, and blended families.” I agreed. I’m sure there are other things involved, but the three stoughest ones are probably these. It may not always be all three but certainly, one or more; and most often one dramatically affects the other two. We’re talking about Christians…

As I sat here today reading these words that John spoke to the crowds around him, I thought about me. I thought about the issues affecting my life. There was a stinging rebuke for me in God’s word.

*First, a king in Daniel 3 saw the writing on the wall and it told him: Dude, it’s too little, too late! Although you knew what to do, you didn’t do it. And now you have to suffer the consequences.

*Then, in Luke 3 John the Baptist delivers a stinging rebuke: “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.” And the crowd cries out, “What should we do then?” (V. 10) John says something to the effect of, “CHANGE!

And while overwhelmed and stinging I was reminded of the remedy for one who lives a life far too often of too little, too late:

Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning. (Psalm 130.1-6)

Paul wrote to the young pastor Timothy: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3.16-17) Being rebuked for stupidity is useful. We all need rebuke. The issue isn’t money, sex and, blended families; the issue is calling myself a believer but not doing what God says. Everything gets screwed up when that happens!

However, being reminded of where to turn for help is helpful. God wants to help me get past the things that hinder me and drag me down…

Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.”  Father God, that is my prayer! Amen.

No comments: