Tuesday, September 16, 2014

An Angel’s Measurement

09.16.14

Revelation 21.17 He also measured its wall, 144 cubits by human measurement, which is also an angel's measurement. - St. John (ESV)

In his book, The Blue Parakeet, author Scot McKnight wrote: When chance encounter with blue parakeet passages in the Bible come our way, we are given the opportunity to observe and learn. Today, a blue parakeet landed in my reading: “…which is also an angel’s measurement.”

At first I thought, hmmm, angels have measurements? I don’t know why that got my attention, but it did. I suppose angels need to know how far it is to something, or how much something weighs, or how to measure in cubits. Then I realized that some things are just the same no matter where you go; no matter who you meet.

I went to Kenya this past summer and found, despite my best preconceived notions, much of what I saw over there was far more familiar than savage. They have cars. Lots of them. They have cell phones. Lots of them. They work, they live, they eat, they sleep. There are churches, and prisons. There are malls, big-box stores, and skyscrapers. There is industry, and indolence. Yes, they have monkeys and dogs, but I didn’t see one cat. And I didn’t see a McDonald’s either.

I suppose what really surprised me was the fact that St. John said it also an angel’s measurement. What do angels measure and why? Why don’t angels just know? I suppose I have as many preconceived notions about angels as I do/did about Kenya. The problem isn’t what angel’s measure, it’s what I think about angels – and a whole host of other things in the Bible that I have (sadly) taken for granted, been erroneously taught, or just simply ignored over my lifetime.

Why was it even important for John to tell us that angels use a cubit like we do? I mean, that’s the implication I got. But why does it have to be part of the narrative? Well, I don’t know about thee, but it was eye-catching to me. It made me stop and think. It made me realized how much of the Biblical narrative I miss because I’m distracted, or in a hurry, or, sadly, just trying to check a box that says I read my Bible today. Performance: it's a nasty thing...

I can’t, and don’t want to, make a theology about the measuring habits of angels, but I do want to slow down and quit being rote about my reading. The Bible is for too important for that.

Father, today I saw the blue parakeet You perched in Your word for me. I was halted in my tracks and reminded of how many time (like today) I simply rush through this grace on my hurried way toward the next big thing. Forgive me. And help me to take time with what You say, and to make time to do so in such a manner as to not fly past something and miss what You intended for me to see that it may change my life in some way. I need You God. Amen.


PS: The Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight is a wonderful read…published by Zondervan

No comments: