Saturday, September 27, 2014

Nothing Has Changed

09.27.14

Haggai 2.4-54 Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, declares the Lord. Be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the Lord. Work, for I am with you, declares the Lord of hosts, 5 according to the covenant that I made with you when you came out of Egypt. My Spirit remains in your midst. Fear not. – God (ESV)

So, this morning, let’s say someone came to your front door, rang the bell; and while you were shaking off the dregs of sleep (if your mind allowed you to have some last night) said to you: Be strong______________ (insert your name), declares the Lord, get up and go work, for I am with you. My Spirit remains in you! Fear not. (Oh, right, it’s Saturday – Americans don’t work on Saturdays…).

God’s people had returned to Judah from Persian exile and were now trying to rebuild their city, their homes, and their Temple. They had run out of steam and were becoming distracted by other things they felt were more pressing: like building their own homes, farms, and lands. And God through His prophet Haggai (‘festive’) said something to the effect of: “Guys! Nothing has changed! You still need your city, you still need your Temple, and you still need your God; and He says, ‘My Spirit remains in your midst!’”

The Jews had lost their focus and God simply came alongside and reminded them that despite seventy years of exile, they were to go right back to where they were, and start over again serving Him. His plans for them had never changed.

Sometimes we think things have changed and it’s true because things do; but as the song goes: this one thing remains*… That one thing is God and His relationship with us. It never stops and it never changes. The glorious Temple was one day going to cease being a building and become a movement of people where God would not just dwell in their midst but more importantly, in their hearts.

I took these words from Haggai this morning: be strong, I am with you, fear not. No one showed up at my door but had they, and had they said that, I would’ve taken it to heart. Really.

Father, today I hear You, and today I’m glad You’ve said, be strong, I am with you Paul; don’t be afraid.  Your love never fails, it never gives up; it never runs out on me*… Amen Lord! Nothing has changed. You are good! Amen.


*One Thing Remains – Jesus Culture

No comments: