Saturday, March 15, 2014

Legal Obedience Loving Obedience

03.15.14

Deuteronomy 28.1 1 If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.

Today, I read Deuteronomy 28 and 29 concerning the blessings of keeping God’s laws and the curses for disobedience. Today, I saw that the blessings were immense and the curses were vast. Today, I saw the difference between legal obedience: if you fully obey the Lord your  God and carefully follow all His commands I give you today… and loving obedience: If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. (John 15.10).

The other thing I saw was that though the commands and laws of God were to be carefully and diligently obeyed, they were always tempered with love and respect: Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6.4-5) But the Law was never completely obeyed and I’m sure the blessings turned into curses… until...

Until Jesus lived a life of total obedience and showed us, by the power and presence of God, there was only legal obedience – at least for the Jews. But when Jesus came and live and died and resurrected, He showed us that we can too: through Him. Jesus turned legal obedience into loving obedience. Jesus loved (loves) the Father and because He loves and trusts the Father directives and (dare we say) motives.

And I think that is really where obedience finds its foundation: in love. Jesus loves the Father unconditionally; and the Father loves Jesus in the same manner. Jesus loves us unconditionally but says, if you love Me, you’ll obey me. Obeying Jesus means we love and trust Him.


O Jesus, may I love You more. May I drop my charade of love trying to mask my selfishness and disobedience to Your will. It’s as simple as denying the request of a lover or spouse when I turn my back on what You ask. I know my behavior is not conditional, but I do know my love for You is fulfilled when I simply answer Yes, to Your requests. O Jesus, may I love You more.

No comments: