Saturday, March 22, 2014

As Best You Can

03.22.14

1 Corinthians 7.29-31 29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away. (NIV)

Paul wrote to a group of people and tried to give them guidelines for basic life skills as children of God. He had already addressed a number of issues and it appears he was now answering a number of questions they had given to him at some point previous to this letter.

I think one point of this chapter (writing as a married man) for me, is to do whatever I can to minimize the number of distractions in my life that take me away from ministering effectively for the Lord. Paul is right: But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. (Vv. 33,34) And there is nothing wrong with divided interests, except that one whose interests are divided will have a bit more on his plate to deal with when it comes to things of the Kingdom.

But, getting married isn’t wrong. And getting married isn’t displeasing to God. And getting married can augment or enhance one’s ministry; we mustn’t forget that.

This week, both my wife and I are dealing with separate issues in our lives as older adults where our individual character is being called into action. It’s not the issues per se, but our response to the issues, that is important. Why? Because others are watching, and perhaps taking their lead from how we respond. We know what to do. It’s just a matter of doing what we know to do; and others are watching what we do. That’s just how life is: somebody is always watching us… And our response. And our attitudes. And our words. And our actions…

Paul was urging the Corinthians to be wise about how they approached life and he really seemed to be saying: just be as effective as you can be, but in all situations live for the Lord as best you can. That why he said above: live as if you were not. In other words, use whatever situation you are in, to serve the Lord more – not less. Don’t let distractions in life get in the way of effectively serving the Lord, wholeheartedly.

A married person who wholeheartedly serves the Lord will have a happier spouse. An employee working a job who serves Jesus wholeheartedly will have a happier boss and happier co-workers. The one who wholeheartedly serves God is a source of happiness to those around him… except to those who envy such happiness and hate the Lord… but at least they are being treated rightly…


To live as best I can, is simply to align my life and circumstances under the leadership of the Holy Spirit; and use all of the things in my life to reflect the glory and goodness and favor, of God. If I am married, to use marriage to serve and glorify God. If I am single, to use my singleness to serve and glorify God. If I have things, use them to serve God and glorify Him. Distractions can either distract me from God or drive me to Him…depends on how I employ them… As a child of God, they ought to display Who is really in charge of me.

No comments: