Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The People Expert




02.27.13

Numbers 23.8 8 How can I curse whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce whom the Lord has not denounced? (ESV)

Years ago, a man by the name of Balak summoned a people-expert by the name of Balaam to come assess and curse a nation of people whom God had led to his front door. Balak needed a miracle because he’d witnessed what these people had done to a couple of bullies down the road, and he knew if they whipped them, he’d need more firepower to defeat them himself – so he called in reinforcements: he called Balaam, the people expert.

The problem with Balak and Balaam was they failed to factor in God in their pursuit. People usually don’t factor in God – they just don’t believe in what they don’t see. Sadly, they usually don’t believe in what they do see either. So, Balak calls on Balaam to come and curse God’s people but Balaam tells Balak: hey man, I can’t just curse any old nation – especially this one. I have to say what God tells me to say. Sounds reasonable enough – that is, unless you are Balak and you see the potential for utter destruction: like the two dead thugs down the road.

As I read this today, I realized over the years I have developed an annoying habit of being an amateur people expert. No one has asked me to be an expert; I’ve just sort of developed this skill all on my own. Give me a few minutes with just about anyone and I can assess them for you. I can observe much about their life from a mere casual encounter.

This morning, Balaam’s words were not just for Balak, they were for me as well: How can I curse whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce whom the Lord has not denounced? Who am I to assess anyone!? Who am I to cast aspersions on any person when I don’t know their life, their circumstances, or what they may be going through? And who am I to join in the discussion when others come under expert assessment? How can I curse whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce whom the Lord has not denounced? Unless, of course, I decide the Lord has indeed cursed and denounced them or they wouldn’t be so annoying to me…

Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you…” (Matthew 7.1-2 ESV) Then He said, “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits..." (Matthew 7.15-16a ESV) I think He was saying, don’t unfairly judge just look at what people do if you want to know who they really are.

Balaam, for sure, was a hack, that fact becomes very obvious in the context of the story and from the rest of Scripture. But for me to engage in judgment just because I don’t care for the way others present themselves, I stand on very dangerous ground of attempting to place myself in the place of God. I guess I need to lose the people-expert thing. 

Probably what I need to do is live by what Jesus says and not by what Balaam said. Jesus said, “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” Sounds good to me Lord; I’m sorry for all of the time I’ve wasted being a people expert – help me to use my time as You did: loving others and telling them about God…

No comments: