Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Advent – Day 24 Peace on Earth



Well, it was a peaceful night of snackage, watching A Christmas Carol (the Patrick Stewart version), and then opening our traditional one-gift-on-Christmas Eve: me, Cathy, the boys, and the dog and the cat.

I cried during the movie; having been the father of a handicapped child, I identify with Bob Cratchet and little Tim (I’m way less agreeable and way more cynical than Bob). The older I get, I cry over big stuff like windy days and important stuff like that. My gift from my daughter was a Snoopy coffee cup with the words Peace on Earth painted on the back. (It’s the back because I am right-handed and the cup handle is on the right side (for me) and the picture of Snoopy and Woodstock is on the ‘front’ and the words, “Peace on Earth” are written on the back – unless you’re left-handed and then it would be the front to you. Maybe I stayed up too late and didn’t sleep in enough this morning.)

But Peace on Earth is the sentiment, and my continual prayer for this globe of ours. With mass-murders in places like Newtown, Connecticut, and Syria, and other places, some near and some not so near; we need peace. Conflict no matter how great or small is usually built upon something totally petty and initially, completely solvable. But like most conflict, the force-field of pride and arrogance make the early-on solvable more and more difficult the longer it is ignored and put off.

Our country (America, or whoever you are) is desperately in need of peace. Oh yes, on the surface we mostly get along but there is an undercurrent of discontent that is almost palpable. There are two sides to most issues and the ability to come together and work together to solve these issues is getting more and more difficult. Red, blue, conservative, liberal, black, white, Latino: we are such foolish people arguing over petty stuff rather than having rational discussions on how to agree to disagree and being able to use our collective gifts to solve what seems so unsolvable. We need peace.

The Dickensian character: Bob Cratchet, is the personification of humblity, nobility, and selflessness. Our nation and neighborhoods could use some Bob. Our national leaders could use some Bob. And our pursuit of happiness will mean a whole lot more if it means me working to help you achieve yours and you doing likewise. We need peace and we need otherness (Philippians 2.3,4: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.) But we cannot do that without peace. And we cannot have peace without Someone strong enough to overcome our sin.

The angels in Luke 2 proclaimed: “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” The angels got it: we humans need peace and we need peace throughout our entire earth. But it starts with me and it must start as I relate rightly to God through His Son whom He sent to beget peace in the human heart with God Himself, and thereby empowering me to have peace with you – whoever and wherever you are.

Merry Christmas! Tim said it right: God bless us, every one. That’s peace, and that is what God offers, through His Son, us on earth upon whom His favor rests. It’s my prayer for you and me.

No comments: