Saturday, March 17, 2012

An Ordinary Day in Heaven


03.17.12

Deuteronomy 32.3-4 3 “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God! 4 “The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice, righteous and upright is He. NASB

I needed to hear these words in my soul today. I read them on a page but heard them in my soul. After a week like mine, I needed something more than enjoyable conversation with my wife; I needed something more than softly petting the dog and the cat. I needed something more than a break from the routine of work. I needed something that would satisfy and I found it in the ancient words of Deuteronomy with Moses singing: “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God! “The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice, righteous and upright is He.”

Sometimes, just taking a break is necessary. But even then the break is over and back to the grind we go. But hearing the words, His work is perfect, for all His ways are just – well that reassures me that what He’s doing in my life, despite how I feel, is perfect and just.

A recurring thought I’ve had this week is that the battle is not what I’m currently going through: the battle is keeping the faith. If what I am going through is driving me to greater and deeper faith then it is of infinite benefit to me. If what I am going through increases and intensifies my focus on Jesus, then it is doing perfectly and justly what it was designed for. The battle is the Lord’s, not mine. What I am going through is His to be concerned about, not mine. My battle is to keep Him at the forefront of my heart, soul, and mind with all of my strength. He’ll take care of all the rest. Overcoming is not defeating the battle – the Lord has already done that. Overcoming is finding the spiritual wherewithal to keep my eyes fixed upon the Savior. When I, in faith, do that the battle becomes just another way to celebrate His perfection and justice.

Today’s reading was a crescendo of that truth: “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God! “The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice, righteous and upright is He.” How bad could I possibly feel with a statement like that?

Today there are those who are suffering from various maladies from the annoying to the terminal. Today there are those whose lives are being rocked by tragedy and heartbreak. Today there are those facing a very uncertain and daunting future. Moses’ words to us are these: “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God!”

No matter what you or I are going through, proclaim the Name of the Lord. Today, whether it’s just annoying or totally terminal, proclaim the Name of the Lord. We can and should do that because He is greater than anything we face and this life is simply a training ground for the next. I might add with humility, the greater the suffering, the greater the calling of God whose ways are just and true: whose Name is Faithful. He is our Reward and He is preparing us for an eternity of adventure, growth, and happiness beyond anything we can describe. The greatest day on earth is but dust on the scales of an ordinary day in Heaven. “For I proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God! “The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice, righteous and upright is He.”

No comments: