Saturday, March 3, 2012

God and the Impossible


03.03.12

Mark 9.23b "...All things are possible to him who believes.”
Mark 10.27 27 Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.” NASB

Two occasions, two similar statements of what is possible. All things are possible to him who believes – believes in God and believes God. The resources available to us in Christ are endless. To come to God with an impossible situation or circumstance is to find God’s resources to overcome such a thing. The impossible is possible to the one who comes to God.

With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God. What God desires to accomplish in our lives is possible. To ask a person to completely let loose of what it is they think they are, and give up what they have, is impossible to us. How can you un-become who you are, and then become someone different in Christ? The rich man in Mark 10 went away sad because his whole worldview was wrapped up in a warped sense of wealth. To him, life amounted to how much you have (and apparently, he had a lot). With God the possibilities are endless and the impossibilities are overcome because God can make what is impossible, possible.

How can I succeed in life? All things are possible to him who believes. How can I reconcile my marriage? With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God. The focus we’re to have with our problems is not the problems, but God. If we keep our focus in the right place, all things are possible with God.

That mentality ushers us into a place where faith is birthed, nurtured, and grown. If I am to trust that with God, all things are possible, then whatever it is that I face that seems impossible needs to be met with the thought: this may be to me but to Him it’s not. If for no other reason, I need God to help me through the impossibilities of life: both to accept them, and to see them for what they really are: reasons to put my faith in Him who deals with life’s impossibilities.

Often I think our issue is not if God can deal with life’s impossibilities, but will God deal with our impossibilities. Sometimes it boils down to, what’s the use? We can go there if we want, or we can go with, all things are possible with God. The bottom line is that we trust that not only are all thing possible with God, but all things are because of God. God knows everything that is going to happen to us in life before it happens. So armed with that knowledge, we need to leave the outcome in His hands. We might have a fear of failure or a fear of success, but with God we’ll make it through and without Him we won’t.

So, as I face whatever it is I’m dealing with today or these days, I need to remember that all things are possible to him who believes, and with God, all things are possible. My circumstances are there for my growth in maturity and understanding and I need to let them be what they were intended to be: tools to help me along the way as I become in Him who He has created me to be. It’s not the tools that we admire when the beautiful house is finished, it’s the house. Tools were necessary in the process, but they are only ever tools. My circumstances are tools to help me to get it that in faith, all things are possible to him who believes for with God all things are possible!

No comments: