Sunday, December 25, 2011

Were You Born in a Black Hole?



12.25.11

1 John 1.5-7 5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. NIV

Last night I had a fitful night of sleep. I usually reserve last night’s sleep mode for Sundays because Mondays I go out to do what I do, and so I sleep fitfully on Sundays in anticipation of Mondays. So last night was not supposed to happen until tonight; but then it did – and then I read this (the above)… Life is where we are, and according to John, we can be either in the light or in the dark.

When the day’s daylight fades and darkness approaches we usually don’t give it too much thought – it’s what comes naturally. I think the same applies to our spiritual lives: darkness comes and goes and though we recognize it, it doesn’t seem to affect us all that much. That is, until we read: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all. You see, God illumines every thing – even the fitful nights of sleep worrying over what tomorrow may or may not bring. Darkness brings worry; light brings the presence of God.

I think we have to work on the light. I think we have to volitionally go after it. I think I’m in a season in my life where my biggest battle is how much I’m either going to go for the light, or settle for the darkness. I have fought with worry most of my life because I seem to (on my own) lack confidence. But this morning is anger (righteous, I hope) I decided to yell at the darkness, the worry, and the fear of what tomorrow might or might not bring. You see, the more we listen to the darkness, the dimmer and more distant the light becomes. Dim and distant light is what the devil likes to use to keep us guessing: is God really God?

But a statement like John makes is huge because it reassures and reminds that God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all: none, zippo, nada. If I’m struggling with darkness, there’s a pretty good chance that I’ve left the door (so to speak) open for darkness to come in. And like the admonishment of old, CLOSE THE DOOR! WERE YOU BORN IN A BARN!?, comes the admonishment from the Word this morning: close the door! Were you born in a black hole?

Why yes, as a matter of fact, spiritually I was born in a black hole, but God in His mercy saved me from that and turned the light on for me. My job is to quit fiddling with the switch and trying to turn it off. And John reminds with this massive truth: God is light and in Him is no darkness at all! So, lesson learned: Paul run to the light when you think you’re in a fright – or a fight. The light is as close as your next heartbeat and sometimes son, you just have to get pissed enough to remember that! Thank you John! Thank You God! Thank You Jesus! Holy Spirit minister truth to me today; and help me Almighty God to close the door on the dark.

No comments: