Friday, December 23, 2011

Caveat



12.23.11

John 15.7; 16
7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. NIV

What is it that you need? That’s a big question and as a child of God, or just a person on earth, our needs are seemingly endless. As humans, we have need of food, clothing, and shelter in order to survive. We have need of oxygen in order to breathe. Although some might not want to admit it, we have need of touch, we have need of acceptance; these helps us in the deep places in our heart. We also have need of camaraderie and conversation; these help us socially. Obviously some of these needs are greater for some than for others and sometimes the need depends on the moment or the season. Sometime we have need of laughter and sometimes it’s just to cry.

In another place Jesus said, “For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6.32-33 NIV) Jesus said, and the Father knows we have needs.

Now in the context of the verse above, Jesus doesn’t use the word need, He says, “so that whatever you ask for in My Name the Father will give you.” Jesus used the word ask. But also in the context above, is the point of our asking, and the caveat: If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (V. 7)

Jesus never promises us a blank check except as it pertains to fruit bearing. Jesus never promises material things except as they apply to fruit bearing. Fruit bearing is what the Heart of Heaven is all about. And that is what we’re to be all about. And so whatever we need in order to do that is promised to be supplied. The caveat is what we do with our lives. To live for God is find every our every need supplied. To remain in Christ is to find our every wish granted. The caveat is the focus of our life and the goal of our being.

I want to find balance in my life in what I do and how it applies to the Kingdom of Heaven. But first, I was never called to balance, and second, even if I was, I am incapable of balance: only Jesus can balance the things in my life. So to look for and live for balance is futile unless I live for Christ and remain in Him in order to bear fruit. Then balance no longer becomes my focus, but fruit bearing does.

So, Lord Jesus, may all I do this day be for Your glory and for Your Kingdom. Thank You for meeting all of my needs and for using me in Your Kingdom for the express purpose of bearing fruit. Amen.

No comments: