Sunday, August 6, 2017

Where I Stand

8/6/2017

John 8.16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. - Jesus

Jesus had His detractors – I suppose all of us do at some point. Not everybody loves everybody. But the Lord’s detractors challenged His credibility.  They said: “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.” (I think it funny that they said so, given they were doing the same thing – where was their credibility??)

Credibility is a big deal in our age. It isn’t that it wasn’t in days past, but nowadays who can trust anything anyone says? Credibility is a big deal, and nobody believes much of what anybody says. So, the credibility of Jesus is so vastly important when we have all come to the point of: everyone is lying.

The truth is, everybody is not lying, but because the suspicion of lies is so strong, that credibility is even more important. So, in the age of lying, in whom do we trust? Is Jesus who He says He is? Or is the Bible all lies as well? And what do we do when everything is perceived as lies or everyone as lying? To whom do we turn for truth?

Belief is not just some switch to be flipped. Belief is a God thing. Jesus said in John 6.65: “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.” We can’t even come to God without divine enablement. And without that, all that is left is lies. 

Divine enablement is not something that is withheld by God for the chosen few, it is His gift to all who will accept it. Divine enablement is as simple as a beautiful sunset, or the vast array of stars in the heavens – it is the acknowledgement of the reality of God. We seem to want to call God, God; but we won’t truly acknowledge Him as God. It’s because we believe more in the lies spread about God, than we do in the truth of who God really is, and Whom God has sent.

To some (well, to many) lies make them feel better. Many would rather accept the lies of man, because the truth of God makes them feel weird. They know something is wrong but refuse to accept truth, so they accept lies. The Pharisees lied about God and that precisely why they could not accept the One who told them He came from God. Their retort was simply: you’re lying!

Jesus replied: But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. Jesus called God His Father, as every man should. But all He got from men was the accusation that He was lying. Habitual liars can’t recognize the truth if it bopped them on the nose…

Jesus came offering the truth and the truth is lost on those whose lives are devoid of God. To the godless, there is not beautiful sunset or sunrise; there is no response to the call of the heavens that declare the handiwork of God (Psalm 19). There is only deadness fed with lies.

Father in Heaven, You have enabled me to see only because that is what You do for every human everywhere, all the time. I am not special, I have only responded to what You have presented. Lord, it boils down to only this: You, or lies. You have given me the choice, and I have chosen. Like Jesus, I choose to stand with You. Help me to help others to make the choice – we are all on our own before You! Amen

No comments: