Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Presence of the Presence

8/27/2017

Revelation 1. 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.” – St. John

“And maybe it's the time of year, yes and maybe it's the time of man; And I don't know who I am but life is for learning.” *

This morning, I reflected on my imagination of yesterday as I stepped out of a late afternoon shower after a long day at work. I thought, as I toweled off: what would I do if unexpected (and unprotected, clothes being fleeting at that moment, save the towel) Jesus showed up at the bathroom door just now?

The words from Mitchell’s Woodstock came to mind. I read Revelation twice a year: once, beginning in August, and later in December. I think in my subconscious I knew Revelation 1 was today, so maybe it’s the time of year, or maybe it’s just who I am, but I I know just where I stand, and life is for learning. What would I do in the presence of the risen Lord?

Clothing would be a scant covering from the One who knows all, sees all, and rules all. The Apostle John was wearing ragged prison clothing when Jesus showed up at his digs. Jesus was unfazed…

I had a similar thought today when Cathy went downstairs to get coffee, or let the dog out, or whatever she was up to at the moment: what would she do in the presence of the Presence?  I wonder weirdly.

Life is for learning but it’s for learning about the One who was, and is, and is to come. Jesus hasn’t gone anywhere and He isn’t going anywhere. He is going to reveal His presence to all the earth one of these days and we all just might think about: what are we going to do when Jesus shows up?

John did the normal and natural thing in the presence of God: he fell over dead…so to speak. He was undone physically and his body wouldn’t cooperate. We’ll do the same thing: we’ll fall over dead… or certainly comatose.

Many call this myth or fantasy for the weak. Okay, I get that. But when it happens wisdom will be proven by her actions. At the appearance of Jesus, there won’t be any time to quibble about myths, legends, fantasies and the like – it will be useless bodies either hoping for cover, or hoping for a touch from Him who was, and is, and is now here. John had to wait on Jesus, you and I will too.

Do you have a vision of Jesus today? Does your vision, if you have one, include Him who was and is and is to come? Or is it: He was just a great teacher who was martyred for His beliefs? One way or another, the bottom line is this: Jesus is coming – for those who are looking… and for those who aren’t.

Lord, my vision didn’t come to pass yesterday, or even again today but Your presence is all about and within me regardless. I look with the eyes of faith for You in all I do today and Lord, may I see You in all I do, for Who You are: who was and is, and is to come. The time of man will one day disappear. Amen.

*JONI MITCHELL, © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Crazy Crow Music / Siquomb Music Publishing, 1970

No comments: