Monday, June 26, 2017

Evidence of Turning Away

6/26/2017 

2 Timothy 2.19 Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.” – St. Paul 

I meet with a group of guys every Thursday when schedule permits, and we talk. And talk. And talk. Sometimes, it’s just about hunting and fishing (two things I don’t do, so I simply smile and nod); and sometimes it’s just about life. Often, it’s about church, and often, it’s about theology. We spar. 

Now, sparring is not fighting, it’s contending one’s point over the objections of another. Men spar. Women relate.  

One of the biggest topics of our sparring is what God does with sin, and what the Christian’s responsibility is with sin, and daily behavior. Typically (in a group of 5 to 8 guys) sides are formed and the sparring gets heated. For the most part we agree to disagree, and always we part as friends. But the sin issue is something we wrangle over. Not whether to sin or not sin, but what is our responsibility is with sin, before God. 

Sin is not degrees of evil before God; to Him, sin is sin. But we mortals only have St. Paul’s commentary on sin. (Other commentaries are just commentaries on Paul’s commentary.) And in 2 Timothy 2, Paul says the above: “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.” (Because of the quotation marks, Paul is obviously quoting someone.) 

Turning away from wickedness (or, sinful self-rule) is not because of rule-keeping, but because of the reality of confessing the Name of the Lord. The Bible is pretty clear about the responsibilities of life when it comes to confessing the Name of the Lord. We should not live in sin while confessing the Lord. But we do and that is precisely where the rub comes in our sparring. One says, we’re only human, and the other says, you cannot have it both ways. They’re both right. 

The emphasis here is: confessing the Name of the Lord. We shouldn’t sin or live in wickedness if we confess Jesus’ Name. But we do and it leads me to think that the upshot of all this is recognizing the reality of sin, and learning through relationship with Jesus, to mitigate its effect on our lives by both learning what not to do, and all that we’re to become, by confessing Jesus’ Name. It’s a lifelong process. 

I think where our issue really stems from is we all want flawless perfection so that we can prove to God how good we are, not realizing the sinfulness of sin, and how we’re to live in faith in Jesus to overcome its influence on us as we live out our lives on this earth. Some seem to be better at this than others, but in Christ we all should be making progress; and verses like this one are pretty emphatic: “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.” Evidence that demands a verdict… 

Father in Heaven, it seems to me that in my behavior, if I think I can confess Jesus whilst doing something I know I shouldn’t, there’s either a misunderstanding in me of who Jesus is, or a misunderstanding in me of what sin is. All I want is to grow in my relationship with You so that the things I know I shouldn’t do diminish. May there be evidence of Your presence in me so that others can see You in me, not just my avoidance of wickedness. You are worth far more than that! Amen

No comments: