Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ruthless Humility

11/5/2016

Galatians 1.10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. – St. Paul

You know, the part of the people pleaser is futile, for he can’t please people. Yet he tries because he sees people-pleasing as something of value. He wants to remain neutral in all things so as not to make waves but by doing so, the waves rage all around him. Sadly, many people attempt to be people-pleasers for they think, if we could all just get along, life would be better… We can do it!

Can’t say that I blame the people-pleaser; after all, I’d like it if we could all just get along. When I think of the conflicts around the world and the carnage of human life in the process, yes, I wish we could all just get along. But we can’t and, more, we won’t. But we insist on pleasing people.

I think a people-pleaser wants everyone to get along and wants everyone to like him. People-pleasing isn’t as much about people as it is about self; and being accepted, and liked. Can you blame him? He just wants to be all things to all people all of the time – isn’t that noble? The people-pleaser exalts himself to the place of being the example for the rest of us – if only we all could be just like him. Then, our mission, like his, would be to please everyone else.

But what happens when his brand of people-pleasing differs from mine? Then what? Well then we’ll have that group over there led by their people-pleaser, and my group over here being led by me. And provided we don’t spend too much time around each other, everyone will be pleased with their people- pleasers.

And then we’ll build colleges for teaching “People Pleasing”. And we’ll write books. And we’ll have an appointed time each week where we gather in our special people-pleasing buildings, and sing songs, and hear testimonies, and enjoy rousing speeches on the merits of pleasing people. And we’ll have kids groups, and women’s societies, and things for the men to do. And we’ll all please each other and live blissful lives of being blissfully pleased.

And we won’t need God. Imagine there’s no heaven, it’s easy if you try. No hell below us; above only sky. Imagine all the people, living for the day… * We’ll have out-pleased God.

Paul said people-pleasing is what separates us from service to Christ. If Christ is Who He is and has done what He has done, then there is an enormous need for Christ, because then and only then, do we live for others, empowered and helped by Him to help them. Many want people pleasing because they don’t need or want Christ – thanks Jesus, we got it.

Only as we each focus on, and move toward Jesus Christ, will we be drawn closer together. We won’t be focused on anything but Him and His purposes for each of us, which by the way, includes loving each others out of respect and love for Him… Christ is pleased and we all are happy. Hmmm…

Father, may I live wholly, solely holy for You. May I keep my eyes on Your eternal Kingdom and love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. And may I love others as myself regardless of whether (or not) they measure up to being loved. Your will and way is perfect and calls for ruthless humility in my daily walk. I cannot please others, I can only love them as You lead me to love You… Amen

*Credit to whom credit is due: John Lennon, 1971

No comments: