Thursday, September 17, 2015

All Better

09/17/15

Revelation 22.4-5 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever. – St. John

I have a grandson; and he is grand. He is sweet when he’s not being a little pill and he seems to think his Pop-pop is okay. I like that. I like being okay with a 2-year old. After he’s had a rough moment it is comforting to reassure him, “Maxx, everything is all better”. He seems to like that: all better. Hugs and happiness abound.

I thought about that as I read John’s description in Revelation 22 today: “They (God’s people, the chosen, the faithful, the willing) will see His face. Darkness will be banished and the light of the One who said, “let there be light!” will be their light; and they will reign as a favored and royal priesthood forever and ever.” All better.

We long in our present days for things to be all better. We long for strong leadership who will give us what we want and take us to where we want to go. But nationalism never accomplishes that’ only relationship will give us what we truly need provided the relationship is the right relationship. Only with God, are things, all better.

I must admit, I get a bit confused when I read the revelation of Ezekiel the prophet as he describes how things will be (I’m assuming) in the millennial Kingdom. But the reality is the Eternal Kingdom where God will be God and His people will be His children and all will live in the light as He is in the light for the blood of the Lamb has cleansed, paid, and provided for an eternal order of goodness and light. All better.

It is good to know that despite my longings and wishes for all better today, there is the permanent promise of all better tomorrow. It’s good to know that I am presently pacing and right on track for the day when the light of God will be my only Light and I will live in His presence forever and ever. It makes the scarcity of the present day more bearable when I look forward to what will be eternally, all better.

Today, I live in the light of the promise of Light. Today, I live knowing the darkness will soon be banished and I will see His face and live in His light. Today, though there are rough places and the presence of sin and death, there is the light of the promise of His Light and the knowledge that for me, one day soon, all will be all better. Amen.

No comments: