Monday, November 10, 2014

Mr. Deeds

11.10.14

Job 35.6-7 6 If you have sinned, what do you accomplish against him? And if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to him? 7 If you are righteous, what do you give to him? Or what does he receive from your hand? – Elihu (ESV)

I don’t understand the book of Job. I don’t understand why what happened to Job happened. I can guess, but I don’t know. I can read commentaries, but I still don’t know. I don’t understand the characters in the book, but I do know this: men have opinions. Men have opinions about everything – and men have opinions about God.

I do know this: the book of Job for its complexities says some amazing things. The book speaks of nature and science and knowledge and wisdom, and some things I am familiar with: like the above: If you have sinned, what do you accomplish against [Him]? And if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to [Him]? If you are righteous, what do you give to [Him]? Or what does [He] receive from your hand? Nothing.

I know about this because I have lived it. I have tried to retaliate against God and done things as if to say: In Your face, Almighty! I have also conducted myself in such a manner as to say, See God, I get it! Elihu, as I’ve read today, for all his incomprehensibility to me, said something that resonated with me. I may not understand the book of Job, but I do understand trying to hurt God or to win His favor. I’ve done it.

The point is I can do neither; I cannot hurt God, nor can I win His favor. I am impotent to harm Him or help Him. God isn’t afraid of my harm, nor is He helped by my ‘goodness’. God is completely complete without me. I don’t invite God into my world, He invites me into His. And the issues of help or hurt only affect me – and diminish my relationship with Him.

Hurting God only hurts me. Hurting God only distances me from what He offers. Helping God – or more appropriately, attempting to impress Him – only insulates me from what I really need: Him! Elihu was right: If you have sinned, what do you accomplish against him? And if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to him? If you are righteous, what do you give to him? Or what does he receive from your hand?

Father, all I have ever needed is You. And the longer I live the more I realize all I want is You. I have done the deeds – good and bad – and have received the reward: remorse. All I want is You. Today Lord, I remember the song and the words:

Jesus – all for Jesus
All I am and have
And ever hope to be

All of my ambitions
Hopes and plans
I surrender these
Into Your hands

Amen.

No comments: