Saturday, March 2, 2013

Words



03.02.13

Mark 9.50 50 Salt is good, but if the salt has lost its saltiness, how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” (ESV)

In Numbers 30 Moses said, “This is what the Lord has commanded. If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” (Numbers 30.1&2 ESV) I take that to mean: mean what you say and say what you mean. Our words are not casual – or at least I don’t think they’re supposed to be. Much of the trouble in this old world comes from the fact that what we say doesn’t match up with what we mean or intend.

So, in Mark 9 Jesus said, “Salt is good…” I think in His allegorical manner the Lord was saying, salt has good qualities and is an important part of your lives; so as salt is good in that sense, here is what it means to have salt in yourselves: be good to on another. We’re to say what we mean and mean what we say.

Yes, I think we can tease and flirt I suppose but we need to make sure that at least from our own point of view that is exactly what we intend lest the hearer get mixed signals. I got mixed signals this morning as I read what Jesus said, “…have salt in yourselves…” I thought, What!? What does He mean? But if I tie His proclamation of salt being good to His admonition to be at peace with one another, it made sense: having salt in ourselves (collectively) means sharing goodness with one another in peace. Salt = goodness = peace. Jesus never spoke casually.

Recently, I’ve been assessing my conduct and my speech. There seems to be a tension rising in me that I can only attribute to the presence of the Holy Spirit that what I say is important because it comes from what I think. And what I think is driven by what is in my heart. And what is in my heart comes from what I believe. And what I believe says what I think about the Lord. What I believe about Him will show up in my conduct…both ways.

Moses said, “He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” And Jesus said, out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. So, making vows and not keeping them ought to shed some light on what is in my heart. Similarly, making judgments or assessments about others ought to shed some light as to whether I am full of salty salt or salt I have has lost its saltiness: it’s useless salt. And even good assessments or judgments (yes Oprah, we can judge positively…you do it all the time) if they don’t spring from a pure heart of love, goodness, or salt can be just as empty or ineffective as the bad ones. Either way: good or bad, what we say comes from what is really in the core of who we are.

Salt preserves, heals, and flavors. Salt also kills and keeps things from growing.

Lord, may I be salty in the sense of preservation of things like dignity, consideration, and grace. May my words be those of healing, encouragement, and grace. And may my life season the lives of others by meaning what I say (carefully, thoughtfully, and prayerfully considering) and saying what I mean (graciously from a heart of purity and love.) And may my salt (Your goodness in me) prevent the growth of meaningless and casual words that fly around senselessly. I must learn to use my mouth only for Your good. Amen.

No comments: