Friday, March 22, 2013

The AND is This




03.22.13

Joshua 13.14 14 To the tribe of Levi alone Moses gave no inheritance. The offerings by fire to the Lord God of Israel are their inheritance, as he said to him. (ESV)

In 1 Corinthians 7 Paul gave this rule: this commandment: Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. (1 Cor. 7.17 ESV) A rule is a guide to live by. It isn’t a law, it’s a principle. To cut a straight line in a piece of wood one needs a rule to determine what is straight and then follow that rule. Paul said, lead the life in which God has called you and then go from there. If the Lord leads you elsewhere then follow only Him. God’s leading is our inheritance.

The writer of Joshua records the will of the Lord for the inheritance of the tribe of Levi in Joshua 13. They were not to inherit property as the other tribes were; they were to inherit the Lord. Their service to Him was their inheritance. Somebody might ask, So!? The reason this is so important is the possession of property was not to be the focus of God’s priests. And the echo to this principle, I think, is found in the New Testament in Paul’s writings…especially here to the Corinthians. Okay Paul – AND!?

The AND is this: Believers in Christ are called to be kings and priests. Our focus is to be God Alone and not the push and pull of the world around us. Our culture tells us we are to bow down to its dictates. We’re not. Our culture demands we step in line like everyone else. Scripture says not. Paul taught: Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. In other words, I am to live my life fully focused on God as a king and priest (albeit in training) and not get caught up in the push and pull of the world and its demands.

This doesn’t mean I can’t own property, but the Bible also teaches I should live as if I had none. This doesn’t mean I can’t get married and have a family. This doesn’t mean I can’t have a workaday life. It means God is my inheritance and I am to live all of whatever it is I live with Him as my soul’s sole Purpose. It means I give all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength to God wherever and however I am and to be content in that: my greater calling is my representing Him well in whatever I do, wherever I am.

Perhaps this is a stretch but today I saw that the specialness of the tribe of Levi was their focus on God Alone and their only inheritance of Him. I wouldn’t want to trade God for a piece of property – would you?

Father, What this really boils down to is my struggle with Americanism and the push and pull of the world in my own life. What this really boils down to is my struggles with money, my possessions, and the use of my time. I can’t live faithfully to You and insist on inheriting the world – You are my only true Inheritance. I ask for wisdom to live circumspectly and to be careful that I only give my focus to You. It’s not about a better job, a nicer house, a bigger car – it’s about You and what You’re accomplishing in this world: getting Your creatures to believe that just You is greater than all the stuff in the whole universe…

No comments: