Monday, September 3, 2012

Love in Action



09.03.12

1 John 2.3-6 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. ESV

On the eve of His crucifixion Jesus spoke these words:  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (John 14.15) The test of love, according to Jesus Christ, is to keep His commandments. John was at that meeting when Jesus spoke those words. And several decades later John wrote what he wrote in 1 John 2: “…but whoever keeps His word, in him truly the love of God is perfected.” Love is expressed in action.

The story goes that an elderly man and his wife were sitting on their front porch one evening and she lamented to him: you never say, “I love you”. The man sat and thought for a moment then said, “I told you on the day we were married, I loved you, and if that ever changes, you’ll be the first to know.” Nice guy. Love is expressed in action.

Jesus isn’t a cruel tyrant – He isn’t a petty despot. He stayed committed to the Father’s wishes because He knew what was at stake if He didn’t: you and I would be lost forever. And so because of us Jesus did what He did. He took on human flesh and lived among us so that He could demonstrate to us the level of His love for His Father: obedience. We can say we love Him all we want; the question is do we obey Him.

What does Jesus want us to do? The biggest is to love one another. Christians are to go to the nth degree to love one another. That’s one thing He wants us to do. Another thing is to tell others about Him. Jesus died for every person on earth throughout every age in which people live. He wants people who don’t know that to know that. Love is expressed in action. And love for Him is expressed in action as well.

My pastor said yesterday that the greatest power in the world is love. And love is powerful. But love and all its power is nothing without obedience. Love is expressed in action. Our actions speak much louder than our words. Our actions proclaim our love in a way that is tangible and obvious. Many a man has tried to patch up his failing marriage with his words after he’s ruined it by his inaction. It don’t work fellas – your words will mean a whole lot more to her when they’re accompanied with your action.

God desires our action. He desires our cooperation. He desires our partnership and he tells us plainly: the amount of love you have for Me will be proved by your obedience to My commands. My love for God is not in writing these pathetic blogs. My love for God is not shown in my perspective. My love for God is shown in my obedience to His commands. Love one another. Tell others about My love for them.

Father in Heaven, as Jesus loved and obeyed may I follow His example and do the same – amen.

No comments: