Monday, August 6, 2012

Who’s Your Daddy?



8.6.2012

John 8.34 34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. NASB

Jesus really doesn’t equivocate here: He says everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. He doesn’t specify which sin; He doesn’t rank sins in order of severity; He simply says the sins that we sin are our master and we (unfortunately) are the slaves…

Ever been a slave? Maybe I should rephrase the question: ever had a girlfriend? (Sorry girls, I am being gender specific here…) Whoever orders us around is in some degree our master – the one who calls the shots. What really peeves you to the point that it evokes a response? That might be something that indicates mastery… and slavery.

I read this today and realized that I do what the ancient Jews did: they claimed they had never been slaves of anyone. Apparently they forgot about Egypt and Babylon. Apparently they overlooked the Roman occupation. Apparently they neglected to see their dalliances into false religion. Apparently they thought the rules didn’t apply to them… At least that’s what they told Jesus: “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?

But I do what they did: I proclaim my freedom and insist I’ve never been (nor am I now) enslaved to anything. But boy, do I get PO’d when I think you act like an idiot. I sure do let my mind wander off into areas of thought that I shouldn’t allow it to wander off into. No, I’ve never been enslaved… It’s called denial.

The Jews called Abraham their father. Jesus said, whatever sins one commits are the masters of one’s life. Who’s your daddy? What gets under your defenses and causes a response in your life that is less than holy. Paul said in Romans 14 whatever isn’t from faith is sin. Yikes! Really? Whatever? That’s a pretty high standard. Master, faithlessness – both are in control.

The issue for them then and for me now, is do I really believe Jesus sets me free? Do I really think His presence in my life is enough to get me to throw the weight off my shoulders and walk in submission to Him? Am I willing to admit the masters in my life and do something about their tyranny? Those are the questions that I need to be concerned about. Those are the questions I need to answer.

When I look at my behavior and realize who (or what) is in control I cry out, JESUS!!! SAVE ME! I need to call slavery for what it is and accept the freedom that is mine in Him for what it is. The world just might be a better place for all if I do. Who’s your daddy?

Jesus, may I embrace and accept Your freedom today and thanks for pointing out to me clearly what slavery really is… and who allows it. Amen.


No comments: