Friday, August 10, 2012

Kicking Tires



08.10.12
John 12.24-26 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25  He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. 26 If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. NASB

As the story goes in John 12, some Greeks came to see Jesus and apparently wanted to check Him out – what did He do, what did He say, what were His views on…? It just so happened that Jesus was on His way to an appointment – you might say He was at a crossroad in His life. So in response Jesus said something to the effect of, “Lookit! Here’s the truth if you want it: unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone. But if it does what its supposed to do – die – well then it accomplishes its purpose and bears much fruit. Your lives and Mine are similar: they were made for a purpose, and that purpose is not to serve our own needs, but the needs of others. So, fellas, I’m on my way to die and if you want to be with Me, you’re gonna have to die too! If you want to be with Me and see what I am all about, then here’s the deal: I’m headed to accomplish what I was sent to earth for: I’m going to die so that through My death many will be saved. Got it!?”

I’ve always wanted to think this was a strange response to the Greek’s seeking Jesus, but then because of the Lord's response, it’s their seeking Him that was strange: all they wanted to do was kick some tires and check Him out – they weren’t serious about committing – they only wanted to satisfy their curiosity: We’re really not interested in what Your true purpose is, we only want to know who You are and what You’re up to that’s causing such a fuss.

God isn't interested in our curiosity if He cannot have our heart. A man doesn’t need a bride if he can’t have all of the package that comes with her – especially the acceptance he so desperately seeks. I almost want to say God isn’t desperate, and I guess in one sense He’s not; but when we look at the lengths He’s gone to show His love for us, well, you might conclude: He’s desperate. But here’s the interesting part: He’s desperate to show Himself for all of who He is to us for all of who we’re not. God knows what will happen to us if we know Him for all of who He is…and He shows Himself desperate that we get it.

To come to God in curiosity and kick tires as if He’s just another option is the height of human hubris. If God is an option, then there are no others. God created us for Himself and gives all of Who He is to us – there is no greater gift; there is no greater purpose, and there is no other option; He’s all we need, now and forever.

Jesus is the stripped down model, the only bells and whistles with Him are these: Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

Father, deserving or not, please show all of Who You are to all of what I’m not so that Your will and purpose may be accomplished in my life: through Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: