Tuesday, April 10, 2012

So I Can See




04.10.12

1 Samuel 8.18 18 Then you will cry out in that day because of your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the LORD will not answer you in that day.” NASB

I’m not sure how long it was between the time of Joshua and the time of Samuel – it was a long time. I’m not sure how many judges Israel had during that time, but it was a lot. The problem with judges, kings, and presidents is men want them to serve as wise and judicious leaders, taking care of the government, defending the borders and then leave them alone to live their lives in peace. It sounds good, and in theory, it works; but in actuality it doesn’t.

The people approached Samuel and demanded a king. They’d had enough of Samuel’s sons turning aside after dishonest gain, taking bribes, and perverting justice. So they reasoned that if they had a king he wouldn’t do that. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing y
ver and over but expecting different results. I’m sure they thought if they had a bad king, they’d simply get rid of him and get a new one…sounds kind of like the judges. Whatever the case it took God out of the equation. But they wanted what they saw in other countries and decided that Israel was lacking in that regard so they talked and dreamed and they made their demand to Samuel.

Samuel tried to warn them of what would happen but they wouldn’t listen: they were convinced in their minds that the solution they had come up with was the one that made the most sense and they wouldn’t let Samuel talk them out of it. A friend of mine used to say: sometimes with God it’s a ‘yes’; sometimes it’s a ‘no’. Sometimes it’s a ‘wait’; and sometimes it’s a ‘if you insist!’ They insisted and God gave them what they insisted on…

The story of Saul is a sad story indeed. Saul was handsome and tall and looked kingly – but he was a bad leader. The history of Israel’s kings is peppered with bad leadership. That’s because they wanted to substitute a man for God – that’s always a bad idea. I know I bemoan the sadness of the book of Judges, but this is one of the saddest events of the Bible: we want a king whom we can see, not God, Whom we can’t!

Israel’s history is littered with bad decisions and so is ours (nationally and personally). I must be careful of what I wish for because with God, sometimes to get my attention He’ll give me what I wish for. Not because He’s vindictive – He’s not the least bit vindictive. But He will do whatever it takes to get my attention and sometimes that means getting my own way… until my way implodes and I cry out in sorrow and repentance. I know it sounds like I am describing a mean God – but sometimes love is tough. It was for ancient Israel and it is for us as well.

The New Testament perspective of this is found in Galatians where Paul wrote: Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. (Galatians 6.7-8 NASB) God is not mean, nor vindictive; but sometimes He will allow us to have what we demand so that we can learn to identify what is good from what is evil – that’s love. Today, I am glad for His love and that sometimes what I want and what I need has to be filtered through hardship so I can see what is good and trust God for it…

No comments: