Thursday, October 20, 2011

Only Your Treasured Possession

10.20.11

Job 7.17-18 17 “What is mankind that you make so much of them, that you give them so much attention, 18 that you examine them every morning and test them every moment?” NIV

Job’s question sprang from a mind under duress. The testing part was what got him. Job needed to know what was going on and couldn’t figure it out. His children had all died, his wealth had vanished, and his health was severely impacted. God! What is going on!? His natural reasoning asked: what’d I do?

I think Job was smart enough to figure out something was going on. I think he was able to reason that for some reason God had somehow intervened in his life. But it was baffling and seemed overtly harsh – God, what did I do to deserve this!? I promise, I’ll never do that again if You’ll just tell me what I did! So naturally, a question comes to Job’s mind: What is mankind that You even intervene in his affairs, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment?

We ought to be relieved that God pays so much attention to us. We ought to be relieved that He examines us and tests us – there is infinitely more to eternity than we’re prepared for here on earth and God is getting us ready for eternity. Solomon said, He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (Ecc. 3.11 NIV) Eternity is a big, big deal (in a very small way of saying it) and we are all being prepared for it, for life doesn’t just end on this blue/green ball we call home.

I imagine that eternity will be something like trying to breathe water, or walking through fire and not getting burned, or passing through solid walls effortlessly…just saying. But if that’s the case then we need to be prepared for it and if we’ll accept it, this life seems to be all about getting ready for the next. So that is why we are examined every morning and tested every moment: Someone is eagerly waiting for us!

God’s examinations are rigorous and His testing is vigorous. He is infinitely thorough and knows what we can handle. We just need to accept that. We need often to be reminded that we are examined every day. That might help us in the perseverance part of the fight for often we so want God to just leave us alone: look at Job 7.19. We need to live in the present but always keep close in mind that we are headed for eternity and God uses all of our today's to get us ready for all of our tomorrows.

So lead on, O King Eternal! Lead me where I need to be today and help me to trust You confidently, always. Help me to see Your presence in all I do and to be quick to remember that You will provide me everything I need this day for life and eternity. Thank You that is isn’t all at once for You know my capacity. Thank You that You are intimately acquainted with all of my days and all of my ways. May I learn today what You are trying to teach. Thank You God!

Q: “What is mankind that you make so much of them, that you give them so much attention,  that you examine them every morning and test them every moment?”
A: Only Your beloved and treasured possession.

No comments: