Monday, May 30, 2016

The Self-Help of Adam

5/30/2016

Romans 11.5-6 5 So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. 6 And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace. – St. Paul

For me, sometimes reading Romans is a bit of a chore: is Paul asking and answering all the questions, or is there really a dialogue going on? Or because of the culture of the day, did they just talk differently than we do today?

I think Paul was both introducing himself to the Roman church, and explaining his ministry to them as well. I think also he was giving them his view of the gospel and his thoughts about grace, works, and relationship with God. Do we work our way into the good graces of God, or does He just give them to us? And if He just gives them, why? Don’t we have to make amends?

Since the fall, I think, man in his weaker moments has tried to appease God for his awful mistake. Adam lived, according to Scripture: 930 years, that’s a long time to influence. Adam, I believe, tried his darned-est to right the wrongs of his moments in the Garden. He tried over and over, and taught others as well, to appease God in his own strength, and he failed over and over. Man has been trying to do so from then on.

Now, when God led His chosen people out of Egypt He gave them a law to abide by – a law that they could never keep. It wasn’t God’s intent to rub their noses in their incapacity, but God attempted to help them to understand that friendship is not about keeping the rules, it’s about love and the heart. They could not understand – the self -help of Adam was far too ingrained into them.

It appears, in Paul’s writing, that some of the ancients were more attuned to grace than we might give them credit for; God told Elijah the prophet (in the turbulent unbelieving days of Ahab the king) that He had reserved seven thousand who had not bowed their knee to Baal: the pagan god of Feel Good. (Cf. Romans 11.2-4) Some actually doubted Adam, and the ways of mankind, and believed God. And as Paul wrote in the 1st century, there were still some then, who understood the true nature of friendship with God.

Grace, said Paul, cannot be grace if it is earned by works. Once works are introduced, grace dissipates. The efforts of Adam to appease God cannot be accepted because they are offered in his own effort and strength. God asks man to love Him just because, not as a party favor or to earn His love back.

So much of religion is the works of Adam: If I can just show God how good I am, He’ll accept me. And if He doesn’t, I’ll be justified in my own efforts that I showed Him, He’s wrong. Utter nonsense. But sadly, lived out every day, in just about every way. Man is guilty and he knows it, but he won’t accept God on God’s terms. Man is somehow going to make things better…

As I read today, Lord, and struggle with what I think Paul was saying, I get this: Your grace is truly a free and unearned gift. I don’t need to impress You, I simply need to listen to You. Forgiven me my Adamic weakness in trying to earn Your favor, and may I simply let go, and let You be You to me, in all of Your marvelous mystery. Amen

No comments: