Saturday, May 28, 2016

If I Could

5/28/2016

Romans 9.2-4a 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, 4 the people of Israel. – St. Paul

Yesterday, as we drove down from Tipton Summit on the way to Prairie City (and onto Bend) we were listening to Paul Simon sing: “I’d rather be a forest than a street…I’d rather feel the earth beneath my feet…” I wondered what inspired him to write those words? El Condor Pasa (If I Could) rested in the Top 40 for some time way back then.

What makes us think what we think and feel what we feel? I don’t think I could answer a question like that, save to say: “Your guess is as good as mine.” But I read Romans 9 today, and I thought about Paul’s words regarding his people, his race, the people of Israel. He thought what he thought and felt what he felt because he knew himself, and he knew them. And he knew what God’s redemptive plan was in the world.

Paul made the claim about his race – that’s not a very modern thought: we don’t see ourselves as a race in this country. We do see, what we call race, as an issue, because we lack the capacity to look past color. Mostly, however, we just do not see ourselves as Paul saw himself: members of a familial, tribal, race.

Most Americans can’t point back to a patriarch of some kind and make a racial claim according to that. (We can, and do, point back to ancestors and make familial claims, but we fall short as a culture when it comes to a Father of our race as Paul named Abraham.) America, the melting pot.

So we, perhaps, partially get where Paul is coming from when he says: “I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, the people of Israel.” Paul was influenced by his race, his culture, and his relationship with God. That’s why he felt so strongly about the Jews getting the message of the Gospel which they were woefully lacking.

The difference for most westerners is we don’t feel the way Paul felt about race (one may not necessarily be so in order to wear the t-shirt that invites: Kiss Me, I’m _____!) We do however, feel for family (I think). Most folks I know who name the Name of Jesus, mourn over a family member of some sort or other that doesn’t believe the Gospel message. I think most of them could identify with part of what Paul anguished over: someone they love is lost and they desire them to be found. They almost wish it was themselves who’re lost for the sake of the loved one.

We westerners may not be familial, tribal, or racial; but we do care about our family and friends who don’t know Jesus, don’t we? May we conduct ourselves toward them as Paul did toward his race: never losing hope or failing to reach out to them in love and concern. Shouldn’t we?

Father, I think many of Your children would sing: If I Could, in order to see some lost loved-one come to Christ Jesus. May I be sensitive to my lost loved ones and never cease to pray for them and conduct myself in a manner worthy of the Gospel in front of them – amen.

No comments: