Monday, May 23, 2016

If My People

5/23/2016

2 Chronicles 7.14 14 “…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  - God

Solomon was one of the greatest kings on the face of the earth. Not even his father, David, had visitations from the Lord as Solomon did. And Solomon, at least early on, tried to bring about a Theocracy in honor of God. And God’s response to him was impressive. But there were always caveats.

Solomon garnered God’s attention but Solomon had to conduct himself in a manner worthy of such attention. Everything Solomon did, he seemed to do in a big way: the building of the Temple and its dedication. His prayers, and assemblies. And Solomon seemed to have a personal audience with God like no other king before or after him. Solomon’s behavior was key and crucial to all of this.

But so was the behavior of the people of Israel. They too were held to a higher standard because God was their King. So, in answer to Solomon’s prayer God said: “…if My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” That sounds like a reasonable request. That sounds like: Oh, okay, if we do this, God will do that. But that has been the request of God all along and it stands to this day.

I used to think it was more of an Israelite thing than it was for the modern church, but I’ve changed my tune and believe that it is for us now as much as it was for us then. The difference is, we are not a Theocracy. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t swear allegiance to God; but we are not a Christian nation as they were a Jewish nation. Our need for corporate prayer, however, is no less needful, but we are not a Christian nation.

What our nation needs today is for the Christians within her to humble themselves, to pray and seek God’s face; and to turn from their own wicked ways. The benefit of that is the rest of the nation will enjoy God’s forgiveness and healing of the land. Somebody has to stand in the gap, and if not us as God’s children, then who?

We need God. These are desperate days. Will we pray? What will God do for a praying people whether they are a holy nation, or just a holy people within a nation? Behavior is key and crucial: if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Will we respond?

Father, as fallen, foolish, fickle and frail, may we pray. Would You hear our prayer and forgive our sin and heal our land? It seems the tide has engulfed us, but may our eyes be only on You. There is nothing too difficult for You. Heal our land – Amen.

No comments: