Saturday, July 1, 2017

Knowing Our Desire

7/1/2017 

Isaiah 1.3 "The ox knows its master, the donkey its owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, [My] people do not understand.” – St. Isaiah 

This morning in my devotions I read: “Delight yourself in Me, for I am the deepest Desire of your heart.” (Young, Sarah. Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence (p. 192). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.)

 I thought about that. I thought: how often do I fill my days seeking this or that? I think that way because I have been trained that way, and because of my training, I do as I do, and believe as I believe. What is sad is: I was not created to be my own god; I was not created to live a life apart from God. 

And Isaiah, the great preacher of Israel said, “The ox knows its master, the donkey its owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, [My] people do not understand…” The simple animals get it – and often (very) I don’t.  

This isn’t about training as much as it is about retraining. The ox and the donkey have one small advantage: they’re hard-wired to get the simple concept of ownership and food. Their huge disadvantage is no freewill, and no knowledge of the God who created them. All they know is the simplicity of food, water, and husbandry. 

My devotions today were a paradigm shift in my thinking: we all have a deep desire; we’re hard-wired that way. What we don’t know (or what we ignore, and/or are distracted from) is the deepest desire of all humanness: the desire for God. The secular won’t buy that, nor will the atheist, nor the hedonist, nor the consumer. Only those that are taught and trained to hear and live by the voice of God will give heed to their deepest desire: the presence of God Himself. 

For the most part, we’re dumbed down to desiring the sparkles and glitters of this life. We accept the lie that this life and its limitations, doesn’t get any better than this… We accept short-sightedness believing all we see, is all there is. That’s the context of animals: dumb as oxen, stubborn as donkeys… Funny: we need the oxen and donkeys God has created!

God said: My people do not understand. The dumbest of His people are those who think, they are not His people – ah, but the earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof… The dumbest and the poorest on earth are those who deny God. Our purpose in this life is to know God and enjoy (underscore that!) Him forever. That means we’re free from the confines of ownership and food – it means we choose to accept our deepest desire: the innate hunger in all of us for the power, presence, and promise of God. 

Oxen and donkeys know instinctively. We know innately. Knowing our desire is tantamount to knowing God. 

Father, that I know You is of magnitude that defies understanding. That my deepest desire is You, smacks vehemently against everything this world offers in place of You – religion, health, wealth, and happiness. As I go forth in these days, may my knowledge of this desire, and the presence of the Holy Spirit within me, be the filter of defense for all that vies for my attention. All of my fountains are in You – amen.

No comments: