Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Penitence



08.04.15

2 Kings 22.19 19 because your heart was penitent, and you humbled yourself before the Lord, when you heard how I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and you have torn your clothes and wept before me, I also have heard you, declares the Lord. – Huldah, the Prophetess for God

You may be one of those who can forgive and truly forget. Or you may be one of those who can regret, but forget. I am not. There are instances in my life that still come into my mind, decisions I’ve made, actions I’ve taken, words that I’ve spoken, thoughts that I’ve entertained that I wish would just go away and leave me alone. Truly they are things I’ve vowed to never do again.

So, my question this morning is about penitence. What is it that so moved King Josiah that he was penitent over the discovery of the Book that was found (See 2 Kings 19 and 2 Chronicles 34) that he tore his clothes, and wept over his sin, and the sins of his people? And what kept him penitent? His memories?

I think it is one thing to come before God and confess my sin, but I think it’s another to keep coming before Him to confess the same sin over and over and over – unless I keep sinning the same way over and over and over. God is the One who forgives and forgets; I, on the other hand, have this memory issue. I forget that I offend the Almighty is multiple ways: I do the same stupid things over and over, and I keep asking God for forgiveness for what He’s already forgiven. But where does penitence grab ahold and keep me from offending God?

I’d say it’s relationship with Him. King Josiah seemed to have a strong relationship with God. It’s a good thing, too, because God was fixin’ to waste Judea over their abandonment of God and their idolatry. God takes this relationship issue very seriously – should not I?

I think God is looking for those who will do something meaningful in their walk with Him that keeps them from doing the same stupid thing over and over and over. Josiah the king, wept, tore his clothes and was really disturbed that the kingdom he’d inherited was doomed. I don’t think it was a matter of his trying to save his own skin; I think it was a matter of how important God was to him, and how badly the subjects of his kingdom had offended God. It moved him to act decisively and penitently.

How important is God to me? What is it in my life that I need to tear my clothes over so that I stop doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. Maybe rending my garments is a consideration. Something needs to give.

Father, I am not a king, I’m a guy. But I claim to know You and I claim to represent You and I want You to see my heart that I am sorry for the things I have done over and over and over that offend You. Father, I haven’t torn my clothes and I’m not saying I should, but I want You to see my heart and my acts of penitence, and that You mean more to me than the dumb stuff I do… Help me God, amen.

No comments: