Thursday, January 1, 2015

That Little Word

01.01.15

Luke 1.38 38 And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. St. Mary (ESV)

I know she’s called the Mother of God; I know she’s revered at a level that no other human (save Jesus) was/is, but I think Mary, Jesus’ mom is sometimes given too much credit in the wrong direction: the clue? That little word servant. Mary was, above all else: humble.

When you read Luke 1 and examine the dialog of the various people mentioned, what sticks out (to me) is how they viewed themselves. Zechariah basically said the angel Gabriel when given the word about his wife’s impending pregnancy, prove it! It’s not that God pulled the plug and changed His mind about the doubting priest, but He did give Zeke nine months or so to think about his incredulity. His wife, Elizabeth, on the other hand was humble: “Thus the Lord has done for me in the days when he looked on me, to take away my reproach among people.” (V. 25) She didn’t bother to question God – she just humbly accepted her fate, her gift.

I wouldn’t call it a new year, but I would call it a new era – an era of a few of God’s people simply accepting the will, the goodness and the mission of God.

It really doesn’t take many people to be involved in the mission of God; God is fully capable of turning the world on its ear (or upside down) with just a few humble people who see themselves as servants of God. Mary seemed to set the pace.

For this New Year, Paul Turk needs to remember that little word. I know Jesus said: No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends; but the right attitude means a lot in one’s walk with God. The little word shows how one sees himself in this world representing his Father, the King Almighty. Mary knew it; Elizabeth knew it; and Zechariah after thinking it over, knew it too.


Lord, as this New Year proceeds, I pray that You grant Your servant the right perspective in all I do. Help me to honor You with the time You’ve given me, the abilities You’ve given me; and the treasures that You allow me to have. I know Father, that I am here as Your child, but I live in this life to serve You, and Your people. That little word says a lot about how I see myself before You. Amen.

No comments: