Friday, June 1, 2012

Soul Keeping



06.01.12

Proverbs 21.28 28 A false witness will perish, but the man who listens to the truth will speak forever.

It is one thing to listen to the truth of God’s word; it is another thing altogether to act upon what one hears. I cannot help thinking about my life and conduct when I read the Proverbs. And then, when I read passages like Romans 13, I wonder, how am I doing at all this stuff? Life in Christ is not about performance but it is about obedience, and conduct reveals who I am inside.

When Paul says, Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. (Romans 13.12) how am I doing at that? Do I just read this verse, give it mental ascent, and keep right on living my life as I please, or do I stop and say, how am I doing at all that? When I am exhorted to behave properly as in the day, (v. 13) am I behaving properly, or doing just enough to keep from rocking the boat too many times? And when Paul says, But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts. (v.14) Am I doing that?

The Proverb says the man who listens to the truth will speak forever. Forever is a long time. The opposite is true as well: a false witness will perish. He may not perish today, or even tomorrow; but he will perish. Living falsely is kinda like a slow suicide.

In what I do for a living, I offer people a chance to have their voice heard. I present them with an opportunity join an organization that advocates for them and makes their wishes known. Some want to join and are enthusiastic about participating. Others are convinced but won’t join. Some are so cynical that they just can’t see that anything at all can be done to change the way things are: these are comfortable in their cynicism, wishfully thinking that the whole nightmare will somehow go away and things will someday get better.

Every day, the Bible offers us an opportunity to have our voice heard: the man who listens to the truth will speak forever. But listening in this instance is not only hearing but also doing. The man who listens (actively) to the truth (and lives his life accordingly) will speak forever. Hearing is one thing: hearing and acting is another.

I have lived far too many days listening to the truth with my head and doing nothing (or little) with it in my heart. This cannot continue. It may be uncomfortable, it may be difficult, but as Paul urged us (me) put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts. That is something I must actively do if I want to live and speak.

One other little nugget today: He who keeps the commandment keeps his soul, but he who is careless of conduct will die. (Proverbs 19.16) Am I active in listening and living or am I careless of [my] conduct? It’s not a case of earning brownie points; it’s listening and living for the truth because I am (supposedly) heading to a Realm of truth where no falsehood is ever allowed: he who keeps the commandment keeps (watch) over his soul. A soul-keeping person is a person who actively listens to the truth and cares about his conduct, his witness, and his destination. What am I doing, and how is what I am doing affecting where I am going? Just saying.

1 comment:

TH said...

Pro 21:28

Here is, 1. The doom of a false witness. He who, for favour to one side or malice to the other, gives in a false evidence, or makes an affidavit of that which he knows to be false, or at least does not know to be true, if it be discovered, his reputation will be ruined. A man may tell a lie perhaps in his haste; but he that gives a false testimony does it with deliberation and solemnity, and it cannot but be a presumptuous sin, and a forfeiture of man’s credit. But, though he should not be discovered, he himself shall be ruined; the vengeance he imprecated upon himself, when he took the false oath, will come upon him. 2. The praise of him that is conscientious: He who hears (that is, obeys) the command of God, which is to speak every man truth with his neighbour, he who testifies nothing but what he has heard and knows to be true, speaks constantly (that is, consistently with himself); he is always in the same story; he speaks in finem—to the end; people will give credit to him and hear him out; he speaks unto victory; he carries the cause, which the false witness shall lose; he shall speak to eternity. What is true is true eternally. The lip of truth is established for ever.